Friday 13 July 2012

Friday 13th Unlucky for some?

Maybe unlucky for some, but not for Member Gary Stanley who came out on top today, with 5 fish to shuttlecock buzzers! With a few nice sized resident fish caught amongst the stocked fish. All within a short morning session, good angling!

Just a quick thank you to Gary Stanley who has emailed me a short story of his eventful day. If you wish for your "Short story / Article" to take its place on the blogs email me.
nath_bailiff@hotmail.co.uk

Have your short story here! >Email me<


"Having fractured my knee earlier this year I have the opportunity to fish on a regular basis during the week, as I only took up fly fishing in September 2011 I take every chance to practice, so as usual I checked the morning weather forecast for Friday 13Th of July, it appeared that there was a small window of dry weather in the morning, after a quick call to Curleys Fishery office and a brief chat with the on duty bailiff. I loaded my gear into the van and set off, I know that everyone tells me to form a plan when you arrive at a venue, however I  had already decided it would be surface action as the bailiff had said fish were surfacing all over the lake. On arrival I tackled up and set off for pontoon 2 the wind was light and south easterly, which gave the lake a flat calm to my eleven o’clock and a good ripple from there on to pontoon 1, as I approached the pontoon a large fish broke the surface 10-15 feet out feeding just below the surface showing me a large back and tail fin every 5-10 feet, I  crept as stealthy as I could and cast a shuttlecock buzzer  5-6 feet in front of its last rise, the fly had hardly settled when all hell let loose, the trout instantly new it had made a mistake and fought like a demon, finally it came to the net and turned out to be a fighting fit blue around the 4lb mark, a further 4 fish came to the net over the next couple of hours with 5 or 6 missed ( still need more practice) this included a visit to the cafe for refreshment ( the smell of bacon cooking seemed to be blowing directly at me and became too much of a lure in the end) finally the predicted rain arrived  and steadily got heavier , keen I am mad I am not, so having packed up I drove home reflecting on a magical morning and planning my next trip!"



Keep your eyes peeled on Curleys Youtube channel > Videos being created and edited as i type this.


Tight Lines,
Nathan
nath_bailiff@hotmail.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.